Cotton Development Organisation (CDO)
Established in 1994 by an Act of Parliament, it has the responsibility to monitor the production, processing, and marketing of cotton so as to enhance the quality of lint exported and locally sold, to promote the distribution of high quality cotton seed and generally to facilitate the development of the cotton industry.
At both the Micro and levels, Cotton assumes social and economic importance as outlined below;
- It provides employment in the country side both at the farm level, ginnery, textile and garment enterprises.
- It generates the needed cash income to people living in the rural areas.
- Prepares seed bed and adds soil nutrients to followon crop such as Millet, Sesame, Groundnuts and Peas.
- Acts as source of raw materials in the production of textiles, edible oils, soap, and seedcake for livestock, among others.
- The Cotton Development Organisation monitors the production, processing, and marketing of cotton in Uganda. The organisation promotes the distribution of high quality cotton seed and generally facilitates the development of the cotton industry.
Function and duties
Under the Cotton Development Act, the objectives of the Cotton Development Organisation is to promote and monitor production and marketing of cotton and represent all aspects of the cotton industry in Uganda.
Projects Under CDO
- Cotton Production Improvement
Visit : CDO website