Agriculture extension system is highly knowledge intensive and involves the production and dissemination of knowledge to the end users who are the farmers. Hence the success of such a system depends to a large extent on knowledge management.
The major role of managers therefore, in agriculture extension system is to ensure that they get relevant knowledge wherever this is produced. The staff members of the extension organization use their creativity to package new knowledge for ease of communication to farmers. In addition, staff members should have access to all knowledge which is available in the organization and one learns from experience on how to develop more effective extension methods.
A social climate, which stimulates sharing of knowledge and a critical analysis of the knowledge developed or used by technical staff is essential. The extension system will therefore serve as a facilitating agent and coordinate all actors along the value chain involved in service delivery.
“To promote and support sustainable and market oriented agricultural production, food security and household incomes”.
The Directorate of Agricultural Extension Services has two Departments:
Department of Extension and Skills Management
This department has 3 divisons which include:
- Division of Information and Communication.
- Division of Skills Management.
- Division of Agricultural Extension Coordination.
Department of Agricultural Investment and Enterprise Development
- Division of Agribusiness Services.
- Division of Primary Processing and Value Addition.
Main Objectives of the Directorate of Agricultural Extension Services
- To strengthen human and institutional capacity for delivery of agricultural extension services in local governments and the Private Sector.
- To strengthen and support linkages and collaboration nationally within and with other sectors as well as regionally and internationally on issues pertaining agricultural extension service delivery.
- To Promote agribusiness services and agricultural value chain development in close collaboration with the private sector.
- To render advisory and technical services through local governments related to crop, animal and fisheries production, and strengthen.
- To continuously identify emerging areas for public and private sector investments and advise Uganda Investment Authority and the private sector accordingly.
- Policy formulation and reviews on matters related to agricultural extension.
- Strengthen coordination of local government production departments, NGOs and private sector in provision of agricultural extension services.
- Provide technical advice on agricultural extension and advisory services.
- Setting standards for service delivery in local governments and private sector.
- Quality assurance of agricultural extension services.
- Support agricultural enterprise development nationally.
- Provide information and communication services to MAAIF and local governments.
- Strengthen inter-institutional linkages between research, educational and farmer institutions.
- Promote agribusiness services and agricultural value chain development in close collaboration with the private sector.
- Support farmer institutional development through capacity building programs.
- Support skilling and manpower development in the agricultural sector.
- Identify investment opportunities in the agricultural sector.