Every Year, the Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries organises the Joint Agricultural Sector Annual Review (JASAR) with partners.
The primary objective of the JASAR is to review the performance of the agricultural sector for the previous financial year and to propose a way forward of moving the agriculture sector.
Like the reviews held before, the JASAR will follow best practices of sector reviews which require balanced representation of the private sector, civil society, farmers’ organizations, Development Partners, Local Governments alongside Government Ministries, Departments and Agencies.
This JASAR, which is being organized in partnership with USAID will also target the following specific objectives.
1. To create a platform for stakeholders in the agriculture sector including; political leaders, sector institutions, decentralized structures, private sector, civil society and development partners to discuss and review the performance of the agriculture sector, as well as its associated policies and programs
2. To assess the trends in overall sector performance based on relevant Sustainable Development Goals, CAADP, the National Development Plan (NDPII) and the Agricultural Sector Strategic Plan (ASSP) indicators
3. To assess the progress of implementation of sector priorities for Financial Year 2017/18 as set out in the Ministerial Policy Statement and sector Budget Framework Paper
4. To assess sector public financing for Financial Year 2017/18
5. To assess progress made towards the agreed actions from the 2017 JASAR
6. To appraise the stakeholders on the sector priorities for Financial Year 2018/19
7. To provide recommendations for increased effectiveness and efficiency in sector performance.
The activities before the national events involve tours of regions of the country to visit areas where initiatives have been implemented and assess the need for future interventions.
The national events of the 2018 Joint Agricultural Sector Annual Review (JASAR) organized by the Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries (MAAIF) will take place from the 28th to the 29th of August 2018.