The climax of field activities of the Joint Agricultural Sector Annual Review has been opened in Mbale district by the Permanent Secretary Mr. Pius Wakabi Kasajja. The reports from the field activities being presented at the workshop contribute to the national level report that will be presented at the national JASAR that will take place from the 28th to the 29th of August 2018 in Kampala.
Above: Participants including officials from the Ministry Directorates, Departments and Agencies, District Production Officers and representatives of Civil Society Organisations, Local Government, Private Sector, Farmer Groups and academic institutions in a group photo on day one of the workshop in Mbale.
Notes to editors
Below are additional details for editors.
About the Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries (MAAIF)
The Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries is a Ministry in the Government of Uganda charged with creating an enabling environment in the Agricultural Sector.
The Ministry formulates, reviews and implement national policies, plans, strategies, regulations and standards and enforce laws, regulations and standards along the value chain of crops, livestock and fisheries.
Vision: A competitive, profitable and sustainable agricultural sector.
Mission: To transform subsistence farming to commercial agriculture.
See strategic objectives here.
See Agriculture Sector Strategic Plan here.
The Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries (MAAIF) is made up of four Directorates including the Directorate of Crop Resources, Directorate of Animal Resources, Directorate of Agricultural Extension Services and the Directorate of Finance and Administration each with Departments, Divisions and Partnership Projects.
The Ministry is also made up of seven Agencies including the National Agricultural Research Organisation (NARO), the National Agricultural Advisory Services (NAADS), Cotton Development Organisation (CDO), Dairy Development Authority (DDA), Uganda Coffee Development Authority (UCDA) and Coordinating Office for the Control of Trypanosomiasis in Uganda (COCTU) and the National Animal Genetic Resources Centre and Databank (NAGRC&DB).
About the Joint Agricultural Sector Annual Review (JASAR)
Every Year, the Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries organises the Joint Agricultural Sector Annual Review (JASAR) with partners.
The primary objective of the JASAR is to review the performance of the agricultural sector for the previous financial year and to propose a way forward of moving the agriculture sector.
Like the reviews held before, the JASAR will follow best practices of sector reviews which require balanced representation of the private sector, civil society, farmers’ organizations, Development Partners, Local Governments alongside Government Ministries, Departments and Agencies.
This JASAR, which is being organized in partnership with USAID will also target the following specific objectives.
1. To create a platform for stakeholders in the agriculture sector including; political leaders, sector institutions, decentralized structures, private sector, civil society and development partners to discuss and review the performance of the agriculture sector, as well as its associated policies and programs
2. To assess the trends in overall sector performance based on relevant Sustainable Development Goals, CAADP, the National Development Plan (NDPII) and the Agricultural Sector Strategic Plan (ASSP) indicators
3. To assess the progress of implementation of sector priorities for Financial Year 2017/18 as set out in the Ministerial Policy Statement and sector Budget Framework Paper
4. To assess sector public financing for Financial Year 2017/18
5. To assess progress made towards the agreed actions from the 2017 JASAR
6. To appraise the stakeholders on the sector priorities for Financial Year 2018/19
7. To provide recommendations for increased effectiveness and efficiency in sector performance.
The activities before the national events involve tours of regions of the country to visit areas where initiatives have been implemented and assess the need for future interventions.
The national events of the 2018 Joint Agricultural Sector Annual Review (JASAR) organized by the Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries (MAAIF) will take place from the 28th to the 29th of August 2018.
Useful resources on the Joint Agricultural Sector Annual Review
MAAIF to intensify production of commodities for export: https://www.newvision.co.ug/new_vision/news/1462615/maaif-intensify-production-commodities-export
Agriculture sector reviews performance: https://www.newvision.co.ug/new_vision/news/1434066/agriculture-sector-reviews-performance
Pictorial of Field Activities