To promote and support sustainable and market-oriented agricultural production, food security and household incomes.
Main Objectives of the Directorate of Agricultural Extension Services
- To strengthen human and institutional capacity for delivery of agricultural extension services in local governments and the Private Sector.
- To strengthen and support linkages and collaboration nationally within and with other sectors as well as regionally and internationally on issues pertaining agricultural extension service delivery.
- To Promote agribusiness services and agricultural value chain development in close collaboration with the private sector.
- To render advisory and technical services through local governments related to crop, animal and fisheries production, and strengthen.
- To continuously identify emerging areas for public and private sector investments and advise Uganda Investment Authority and the private sector accordingly.
- Policy formulation and reviews on matters related to agricultural extension.
- Strengthen coordination of local government production departments, NGOs and private sector in provision of agricultural extension services.
- Provide technical advice on agricultural extension and advisory services.
- Setting standards for service delivery in local governments and private sector.
- Quality assurance of agricultural extension services.
- Support agricultural enterprise development nationally.
- Provide information and communication services to MAAIF and local governments.
- Strengthen inter-institutional linkages between research, educational and farmer institutions.
- Promote agribusiness services and agricultural value chain development in close collaboration with the private sector.
- Support farmer institutional development through capacity building programs.
- Support skilling and manpower development in the agricultural sector.
- Identify investment opportunities in the agricultural sector.
Departments in the Directorate of Agricultural Extension Services
Department of Extension and Skills Management
This department has 3 Divisions which include:
- Division of Information and Communication.
- Division of Skills Management.
- Division of Agricultural Extension Coordination.
Department of Agricultural Investment and Enterprise Development
- Division of Agribusiness Services.
- Division of Primary Processing and Value Addition.